If you are going to start a career of streamer or just want to practice a new hobby, one of the first steps you will need to take is to choose a capture card. It is usually not that component for streaming that becomes a high-priority for buying. But it should be.
This handy device connects to your PS4, Xbox One, Switch, or PC, and also saves frames or streams them live, easily and conveniently. What is important to understand is that you need to select a specific capture card for PS4 to get maximum from its performance.
There is an endless array of capture cards for PS4 on the market. That’s why we have put together an expert guide on the best game capture devices, rounding out the pros and cons of each to relieve stress on your decision.
After deep analysis, solid research and testing, we have concluded that Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro, AVerMedia Live Gamer Ultra 4Kp60, and Elgato Game Capture Card HD60 S are three best capture cards for PS4.
Get to know them, and choose yours!
Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro
- captures your gameplay in 4K resolution at 60 FPS
- superior low latency technology
- supported resolution – up to 2160x60 pixels
- capable of simultaneously capturing your video in multiple apps
- video encoding
This internal capture card knows everything about capturing at the highest resolution and high frame rates. Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro ensures crystal clear 4K resolution at 60 fps, vibrant HDR 10 imaging, and flawless streaming experience, as a result.
The thing is that you will need pretty high-tech equipment to make the most of this capture card. If you are reading this blog post, you are likely to look for a card for PS4, and Elgato 4K60 Pro is a perfect match for it.
AVerMedia Live Gamer Ultra – 4Kp60
- 4Kp60 High Dynamic Range (HDR) pass-through
- Full HD playback at 60 frames per second
- ultra-low latency for broadcasting and recording PS4
- high frame rate capture ability of up to 120 fps for Full HD signals
- RECentral powerful streaming software for recording HDR content
- Cyber Link Power Director 15 for 4K video editing
“Capture like never before!” – this is how the manufacturer describes the possibilities with this gadget. AVerMedia Live Gamer Ultra – 4Kp60 is a powerful Twitch capture card with pass-through support for 4K HDR image, the capability to transmit Full HD high-frequency signal with updating to 240 Hz, and high frame rate capture ability of up to 120 fps for Full HD signals. Unique capture card, and simply one of a kind. Just like your stream.
Elgato Game Capture Card HD60 S
- instant streaming and recording in 1080p60
- built-in commentary feature
- state-of-the-art and fast USB 3.0 type connection
- capable of capturing your voice on the go
- innovative feature Timeshift that lets you re-record footage
- small and portable
- reasonable price
Elgato Game Capture Card HD60 S is easy to set up by simply plugging in between your PS4. Basically, it has absolutely everything to bring your gameplay to the viewer in a quality way: stunning 1080p quality with 60 fps, built-in live streaming to Twitch, YouTube, and other platforms as well as built-in commentary feature and superior low latency technology for streaming.
Elgato has its own streaming software, but streaming through the same OBS is not an issue too.
Everything we recommend
Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro is a powerful capture card that ensures professional-level 4K game capture.
AVerMedia Live Gamer Ultra – 4Kp60 is the holy grail for PS4 streamers with 4K capture, HDR passthrough, and a small, portable form factor.
Elgato Game Capture Card HD60 S provides you with perfectly formed capture at a speed of 60 frames per second, and a stable broadcast with high quality.
Who should buy this
Every streamer who is interested in providing his viewers with high-quality streaming needs a capture card. This small but so indispensable component can do wonders with your broadcasts.
Such game consoles as PS4 make it possible to broadcast to Twitch directly. However, using capture cards with lots of additional features makes your streaming experience much better and more interactive.
There are quite a lot of reasons to use a capture card for your streaming needs, but it all comes down to the amount of control you will have under your stream. A little secret: you will get significantly more control and, therefore, opportunities to diversify your stream.
Perhaps, we will act like Captain Hindsight now, whatever. Everyone who owns PS4 or is going to purchase it and has big plans on Twitch streaming should definitely consider buying a capture card. So simple.
What is a Capture Card for PS4
In simple words, it is an assistant that allows you to keep as many viewers as possible on your channel. The main feature of the capture card is high-quality recording since the footage is often designed to create content.
Consoles such as PS4 mainly use low bitrates for video transmission, which is not very convenient for top games. What is more, consoles adjust the bitrate during the drawdown of the Internet channel, which negatively affects the quality of the stream. A capture card eliminates such risks and ensures the highest quality live stream.
Most cards presented in this blog post are capable of capturing the gameplay in 4K resolution or 1080p60 that means a high-quality picture your viewers can enjoy.
There is another important nuance: using a capture card you can apply custom overlays (layers) and thus stand out among other streamers with cool branding. When streaming directly from the Xbox One or PS4, this feature is not available.
How Does a Capture Card Work for PlayStation 4
The owners of PlayStation 4 know first-hand that the console itself provides good opportunities for a high-quality stream. However, this is an unconditional fact: if you use a capture card for streaming on PlayStation 4, your content levels up. Just imagine that it can really become so much better than before.
Compared to the built-in software, the card will make streaming, recording, and editing easier and more absorbing for viewers.
You will have much control over the quality of your stream with a capture card that will handle the video streaming equation. As far as you could know, the hardware on a console is not strong enough to render your gameplay while processing the video. Here a capture card comes to the rescue. It works as a data receiver without sacrificing performance. It makes it easy to transfer footage between your console and PC.
In addition, capture cards introduce some other innovative features such as Timeshift in Elegato HD60 S or Cyber Link Power Director 15 for 4K video editing in AVerMedia Live Gamer into your streaming experience to bring it to a new level.
In a word, capture cards are designed to make your broadcasts more powerful, turning it into high-quality gameplay.
Best Capture Cards for PS4
Razer Ripsaw HD External Capture Card
- 4K 60 fps pass-through
- hardware-based audio mixing
- Hemi 2. 0 & USB 3. 0 Connectivity for zero latency output and maximum details
- Full HD 1080P at 60 FPS
- various supported resolutions: 2160p, 1080p, 1440p30fps , 720p, 480p
Razer Ripsaw HD is a real catch that ensures 4K passthrough, streaming games in 1080p while being the cheapest one on the market with such advanced features. This capture card works well with PS4 and Xbox One, offering 1080p at 60 frames per second with a lack of latency thanks to the USB 3.0 connection. The peculiarity of this capture card is that it also provides a high-quality second input for audio. It means you can add a good quality comment to your stream or mix some music.
Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus
- 4K / 60Hz resolution support
- capture HDMI + embedded audio
- loop-through HDMI signal
- audio input via mic
- automatically upscaling and downscaling to 2K for recording or streaming
Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus is a single-channel HDMI video/audio capture device manufactured in a separate case that supports resolution up to 4K (4096×2160). It also offers a loop-through HDMI port and has a built-in scaler. This is a quite powerful capture card that works plug-and-play and can be operated 24 hours a day.
MiraBox Capture Card, USB 3.0 HDMI
- 1080P With 60FPS, HDCP support
- zero-latency HDMI loopout
- USB 3.0 high-speed transmission port
- plug and play
MiraBox is a praiseworthy and one of the best capture cards for Twitch streaming that is compatible with almost all devices. Simple installation, superior performance, and other additional features make it a good external capture card for PS4 owners.
How we Picked and Tested
The main task for picking the best capture cards for this blog post was to find those which perfectly compatible with PS4.
First, we studied the most desired features that users expect from capture cards, talked to streamers who have already made a choice in favor of a particular brand, and investigated lots of product reviews. Based on the information we managed to get within our profound investigation, we have chosen 10 capture cards for a test.
To guarantee a certain level of quality, we turned to trusted brands in this niche such as Elgato or AverMedia, as they have many proven products whose quality is confirmed by the community of players.
While testing, we picked external and internal capture cards, checked their quality of the recording and focused on compatibility with PS4. It was necessary for us to test both capture cards with 4K game capture and 1080p 60FPS as well as the presence of such additional features as capturing voice on the go, tracking real-time comments, and/or adding music to the created content, etc.
We also paid attention to the external materials, construction, and design to evaluate the durability of the devices.
Only those cards that proved to be the best got to this blog post.
To cut a long story short, we did our best to pick the best capture cards for PS4 on the market to help you invest in the great product.
Can You Stream on PS4 Without Capture Card?
Yes, you can stream on PS4 without a capture card. If you want to save money or haven’t clarified the need for a card yet, you can still do this not using it.
We have already explained how this component will improve your streaming experience and emphasized all its advantages. When it comes to the technical side of the issue, the card is of course necessary. In any case, the choice is yours.
How to Choose the Best PS4 Capture Card
People always strive for getting only the best (whatever it is) and streamers, of course, are no exception. At present, lots of products are abundant therefore the choice became too complicated and exhausting. To facilitate it a little bit, we have made our list with pieces of advice to take into account when choosing a capture card for PS4. Learn them by heart and find your capture card in this huge world of devices.
- There are different capture cards for various devices. If you are reading this blog post, chances are you need a card for PS4. So, when you have already made a choice in favor of some card, double-check that it is accurately compatible with PlayStation 4.
- Rumours are in the air that internal capture cards are more powerful than external ones. However, keep in mind that you will have to tinker with the first as they require installation whereas most external cards can be used right out of the box and they are also portable.
- Based on the previous point, we advise using USB 3.0 connectivity which is quite reliable if you choose an external card, after all. USB 3.0 has higher maximum data transmission and ensures smooth functioning at high speeds.
- This item is probably the one that worries everyone – budget. If you do not know for sure whether you will continue streaming next month or not, do not spend all your money on a capture card. If you are a professional streamer and plan to make a fortune on this activity, don’t go cheap and buy a card from our list without any doubts.
- Good capture cards usually provide with advanced additional features. Learn which one you would like to have (built-in commentary feature or hardware-based audio mixing, perhaps), and then make your choice.
- If you plan to stream from several devices at the same time, for example during an esports match, periodically switching between them, then consider this nuance before a purchase. Choose a card with a cooler as it will warm up decently when intensively working.
- Full HD and 4K capture cards are what you need. Just remember that to achieve the desired frame rate and successfully record without sacrificing performance, you need a decent computer.