Being a streamer or gamer is not about shoveling up money as one may think. It is really hard work that demands lots of skills and lots of money to spend on specially designed equipment that costs hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars. There are some obvious pieces of rig necessary for streaming such as PCs, webcams, lighting, and microphones, as well as those less cared for. A keyboard, for example, is often underestimated by streamers. However, this is one of the main devices to ensure a comfortable and satisfying computing experience.
Basically, keyboards are divided into two types – mechanical and membrane. We have studied the advantages and disadvantages of both, and are ready to present you with this valuable information. After carrying on solid research, we have picked the best keyboards for streaming among which you will definitely find the right one. CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum is our absolute leader in the contest. SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL and HyperX Alloy Elite RGB take the second and the third place of honor. Read on to find out the features of the winner products and familiarize yourself with 5 other praiseworthy products.
CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum
- dynamic and vibrant lighting effects due to per-key RGB backlighting and a 19-zone LightEdge
- ultra-fast actuation and reliability thanks to Cherry MX Speed RGB Brown mechanical key switches
- programmable with six dedicated macro keys
- there is an ability to program special streaming commands through Elgato Stream Deck software
- maximum endurance
- set up in a flash
- a detachable soft textured cushioned leatherette palm rest included
Unrivaled performance thanks to Cherry MX mechanical switches, an ability to assign sophisticated game macros with any of six special macro keys, and innovative LightEdge technology which provides with RGB backlighting for control keys make this keyboard stand out. There are also 8 MB in-built to use your CUE profiles on the go. A removable double-sided soft wrist pad is an irreplaceable thing during marathon gaming sessions.
SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
- having a soft feel, tactile brown switches guarantee 50 million keypresses
- a nifty OLED Smart Display that displays information directly from games and applications
- per-key-programmable RGB backlighting with 16.8 million colors available
- a USB passthrough port to connect any USB devices
- premium magnetic wrist rest that provides full palm support
- durable and aluminium body
SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL is a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard stuffed with lots of advanced features that set it apart. In addition to the features mentioned above, it is worth highlighting the keyboard’s ability of synchronization with other SteelSeries devices, RGB backlighting for each key, the presence of a metal roller to manage multimedia just pressing a button (rewind, skip, pause, etc.)
Tactile and quiet with comfortable custom key switches, SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL is the best bet for streamers.
HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
- HyperX NGenuity software that provides advanced customization
- dynamic RGB lighting effects and special radiant light bar
- CHERRY MX mechanical key switches
- an opportunity to connect devices through the USB 2.0 pass-through a port
- N-Key Rollover and Anti-ghosting that allow you to control every click
- a specially designed multimedia control buttons and a volume wheel
This is a full-featured keyboard with RGB-backlit, which stands out with both its appearance and functionality. It allows customizing your game mode, creating macros and selecting the backlight for individual keys. Reliable switches and solid steel frame ensures durability and stability of the keyboard.
Everything We Recommend
CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum is the winner among the best streaming keyboards. Incredible RGB backlight, reliable mechanical switches, and the ability to save and reproduce complex macros are among the distinctive features of the keyboard.
SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL is a profitable combo: subtle in look and significant in practice. This keyboard is sturdy, durable, and comfortable. It is an excellent solution for streamers and gamers who aspire to get a reliable gear with advanced features.
HyperX Alloy Elite RGB goes the third among the top performers in our selection. It is quiet, linear, and very functional. Affordable price along with state-of-the-art features make this mechanical keyboard a sought-after product among most streamers.
Who Should Buy a Keyboard for Streaming
We have nothing against membrane keyboards. They established themselves well among the general public due to affordable prices and passable functionality. However, hardcore gamers and full-time streamers always give preference to mechanical keyboards. By the way, typists also join the team of the latter.
A keyboard for streamers is necessary just as much as CPU, webcam and all other essentials. What is more, if you are interested in a silent keyboard, a mechanical switch is your solution. Despite the fact that the progenitor of mechanical keyboards were typewriters, which they took many design features from, the sounds emitted by the keyboard vary.
Just so you know, brown switches are the most silent ones among all existing Cherry MX line of switches.
Tactility is also one of the features that all streamers love. This is a really indispensable function because pressing the keys does not require effort and is clearly felt.
We know that streamers and gamers prefer novelties but durable equipment is also in favor as well. Mechanical switches avoid the risk of wearing and tearing even after decades.
And last but not least – the backlight. It is known that streamers and gamers spend a lot of time in front of the computer in the dark. The keyboards with RGB backlighting are not just a delight to the eyes or an amusing feature but a very useful one. You can program the keys with various colors to make them easily recognizable in the dark.
To cut a long story short, mechanical switches are a real catch for streamers, gamers, editors, typists, and everyone who spends a lot of time clicking the keys. If you are good at destroying ordinary keyboards very quickly, please pay attention to mechanical switches too.
Best Streaming Keyboards
Das Keyboard X50Q
- a smart piece of technology, fully programmable
- Q Software that controls notifications & RGB illumination
- 2x Brighter RGB+ with 16.8M colors
- pre-built Q applet
- advanced mechanical switches, 100 million keystrokes
- dedicated media controls: Q button and volume knob
Das Keyboard X50Q is named an ultimate crossover (work/play), and for good reason. It operates at the highest level and gives an opportunity not to look down extra time. This smart keyboard is able to display notifications from any applications or websites in color directly on its RGB keys. It does not let you miss anything, and feels the pulse instead of you. This is a reliable and swift mechanical switch that is programmed for success only.
Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate Cherry MX Brown
- Cherry MX Brown mechanical key switches with gold contacts
- a blank keyboard with no keycap inscriptions
- a blazing fast two-port USB 3.0 hub
- supports full N-key rollover that saves you from using a PS2 adapter
- dedicated media controls and volume knob
- a slick anodized aluminum top panel that withstands 50+ million keystrokes
This mechanical keyboard astonishes not just with its blankness but incomparable experience it delivers to customers thanks to the advanced features. Made of the high-quality materials, equipped with gold-plated switches that provide tactile feedback and maximum speed and accuracy, dedicated media controls and a sleep button to save energy make it a perfect tool to have at your disposal.
Razer BlackWidow Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard – For Razer Fans
- Razer mechanical switches, swift and accurate
- tactile and quiet
- Chroma RGB Lighting with 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- ergonomic magnetic wrist rest
- USB, audio passthrough and cable routing options included
Combining comfort, high functionality, and performance, Razer Blackwidow Elite is among the top streaming and gaming keyboards. Durable construction that supports up to 80 million keystrokes, advanced management capabilities, the ability to set additional functions on the keys and adjust the backlight is quite enough to convince that this keyboard was designed for prime performance.
ASUS ROG Strix Flare Pnk (Cherry MX Brown) Limited Edition – Less Agressive
- a limited edition for streaming gourmets
- Cherry MX Brown RGB switches ensure fast and enhance performance
- Asus Aura Sync RGB lighting features a nearly endless spectrum of colors
- a customizable badge illuminated by Aura Sync RGB lighting
- dedicated media keys
- onboard memory for the macro recording on the fly
- USB pass through
This keyboard is definitely a smash hit among mechanical switches. It has all the features that a streamer and a gamer needs. It is equipped with advanced Cherry MX mechanical switches with full backlight, separate multimedia keys, full key rollover, and lots more. In addition, compatibility with Aura Sync technology allows you to configure many dynamic effects on it. This adds even more personality and brightness to your computer and therefore to you, of course.
Cooler Master CK550
- Blue Mechanical Switches rated for 50+ million keypresses
- RGB per-key backlighting with multiple lighting modes and effects
- on-the-fly controls
- durable brushed aluminum design
- software customization that allows mapping 16.7 million colors to any key
This is a sturdy tool that always meets streamers’ expectations. Stuffed with state-of-the-art filling, this keyboard always gets the job done. Minimalistic design built with functionality in mind to complete all of your objectives is the best verbal description of Cooler Master CK550.
How we Picked and Tested
Not to seem biased, we tested several membrane keyboards along with their mechanical colleagues. All in all, mechanical switches have shown themselves better for streaming, gaming, and constant work in front of the computer therefore we included only them in this ultimate guide.
To make a clear picture of the most suitable keyboards for streaming, we discussed all the nuances with professional gamers, went through a lot of product videos, studied the distinctive features of keyboards presented in this guide, investigated lots of reviews, and assessed value for money of each item.
The main feature that distinguishes keyboards is mechanical switches, manufactured mainly by german company Cherry. It turned out that Cherry MX Brown is the most tactile and silent gaming and streaming keyboard among four types of switches. Cherry MX Blue is tactile with a click, Cherry MX Red is linear with a slight tap, Cherry MX Black is linear with a hard tap.
Having cleared up the most necessary features for streaming, we made a selection of relevant tools. All the products presented in this article proved themselves to the maximum extent possible, be durable, reliable, and ready-to-go.
Mechanical Keyboard vs Membrane
It is obvious that each of these keyboards has its ups and downs depending on the requirements of the user. Membrane keyboards are the most common, versatile, and in the low-middle price segment. They are a solution for ordinary users who mostly surf the Internet and watch TV shows. When it comes to durability, the lifespan of membrane keyboards is shorter than of mechanical keyboards. However, they are relatively quiet and less expensive.
Mechanical keyboards are perfect for streamers and gamers. Mechanical switches work faster than membrane keys and do not have the effect of fatigue, always functioning like new. It is known that they are extremely loud. This depends on the switches you use. As we have already mentioned, Cherry MX Brown is silent enough and any odd sounds do not disturb while streaming or gaming. One more thing is that a mechanical keyboard is heavy enough. Therefore if you travel a lot or are going to carry it back and forth, from your office to your apartment for example, then select membrane which is more portable.
In a word, if you are a hardcore streamer, gamer, or a person who uses a keyboard more often than the iPhone during the day, do not hesitate and give preference to mechanical keyboards. And vice versa, if you use it just for ordinary tasks such as typing several documents or Google search, membrane keyboard is your undoubted choice.
How to Choose the Best Keyboard for Streaming and Gaming
The process of choosing the best keyboard for streaming and gaming may be a tough task that is why we have taken it over. While testing keyboards and preparing this article, we have identified several key points that you need to pay attention to when choosing one.
- Pay attention to the color of switches. Basically, it is not visible outside, the names including color are used just for identification.
- RGB backlight is an irreplaceable feature for streamers and gamers. Keyboards, where you can adjust the color separately for each key, will be more expensive, but bring a lot of joy and ensure more functionality.
- The parameter Key Rollover is also needed. Mechanical switches usually come with 6KRO or NKRO (No Key Rollover). It means they support six or an unlimited number of simultaneous keystrokes. High #KRO needed to quickly switch between commands while gaming.
- As for the design: a good gaming keyboard should be durable, easy to use and stand firmly on the table.
- It seems this is not the most important thing but you’d better choose a keyboard with a wrist pad which is an irreplaceable thing during marathon gaming sessions.
- When it comes to the material of keycaps, you should know that PBT plastic is a more durable material for them than usual ABS.
- Also pay attention to the USB, audio passthrough and cable routing options. It would be great to have them all on your keyboard.
Always remember that a high-quality keyboard is crucial for your comfort and therefore success while gaming and streaming. Your fingers will be grateful for a good choice and will please you with top performance.
Detection and suppression of keyboard transient noise in audio streams with auxiliary keybed microphone
Gaming keyboard and related methods
Membrane keyboard and method of using same
Touch Sensitive Mechanical Keyboard