The high quality of streams mostly hinges on the equipment you choose for it. Firstly, it is vital to pick a good router that is one of the most important pieces of technology for Twitch streaming. To find the best one is a time and energy-consuming process. Therefore we have done it for you to ease the pain of hunting.
After carrying on solid research, cross-interviewing experienced streamers, and testing the devices of various brands, we are ready to say with certainty that NETGEAR routers stood up from the competition. NETGEAR XR700 Nighthawk Pro Gaming WiFi Router and NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 are those coveted machines every streamer is looking for.
We are going to feature some other praiseworthy backdrops for streaming on Twitch in the article for you to completely convince of having such a thing at your place and help you choose the most suitable one.
NETGEAR XR700 Nighthawk Pro Gaming WiFi Router
- state of the art software and bleeding-edge hardware
- a dual core 1.7GHz processor
- six 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag-free
- AD7200 Quad stream router with a speed up to 7.2 Gbps
- stabilizing ping and reducing lag spikes
- an opportunity to monitor the network and game ping in real time, and identify the bandwidth
This NETGEAR router is designed for flawless gaming and streaming performances on Twitch and Youtube. It is stable and reliable with simple setup and simple VPN to configure. In addition to using geo-filtering, Advanced Quality of Service, and Anti-bufferbloat” (ABB), this device is optimized for the lowest ping, and can definitely exceed your expectations.
NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
- blazing-fast 2.6Gbps Wi-Fi speeds
- multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO) for simultaneous streaming
- 4 ethernet ports
- dual-core 1.7GHz processor that is perfect for both wired and Wi-Fi performance
- 4 external antennas to generate a strong signal
- 15 more channels in 5GHz for a free gaming experience
This wi-fi router is designed to achieve record performance in games. It works on the basis of the Duma OS, and is equipped with a special panel for managing games for the wireless online gameplay. Geofilter functions reduce query response time and improve connectivity. The device is believed to change the gameplay and help you become a winner in any, even the most difficult game.
GRYPHON – Advance Security & Parental Control Smart Mesh WiFi System
- smart mesh Wi-Fi expendable system allows to do several actions simultaneously: stream content, play a game, browse the web, download files, etc.
- includes security software, and provides daily security updates to prevent the latest threats
- simultaneous Tri-Band Radios - 2.4 GHz and (2x) 5GHz
- impressive Wi-Fi coverage: up to 3000 sqft of the wall to wall coverage
- easy to set up
- looks appealing
In addition to advanced features for streaming on Twitch, this device is very good at parental control and protecting your data from undesirable ill-wishers and hackers. The producers assure that in addition to being responsible for your home Wi-Fi, they are committed to protecting your privacy as well. It means they will never use your personal data for company purposes.
Everything We Recommend
NETGEAR XR700 Nighthawk Pro Gaming WiFi Router (the state-of-the-art router that is considered the best for streaming and gaming on Twitch)
NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 (combines Nighthawk’s best-in-class features with advanced DumaOS)
GRYPHON – Advance Security & Parental Control Smart Mesh WiFi System (router with outstanding speed, smart home system, and Internet security)
Who Should Buy This?
As far as we know, it is always better to have an ethernet connection for a static and high-quality stream. However, if there is no opportunity to extend the cable, you should realize that a powerful router yields to none as well. With a good one, you can afford to diversify the content of the stream, connecting a lot of webcams, making live streams from the phone, and at the same time protect the network from intrusions and hacks. The modern device is the first issue you should take into account to ensure your stream a high-resolution display without any issues.
Best Wi-Fi Routers for Twitch Streaming
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 AX11000 Tri-Band 10 Gigabit WiFi Router
- triple-level game acceleration
- 1.8 GigaHertz Quad-Core CPU and 2.5 G gaming port
- built-in support for the Gamers Private NetworkROG
- gaming mesh network that is compatible with ASUS AiMesh Wi-Fi system
- Game Boost that analyzes network trafﬁc and prioritizes gaming packets
Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Wireless Router
- 1.4 GHz dual-core processor
- up to 3,000 sq. ft. of Wi-Fi coverage
- allows 4K HD streaming, gaming in high quality
- bandwidth for 25+ devices
- Beamforming and MU-MIMO technology let your devices function as if each has its own router
ASUS RT-AC88U Dual-Band AC3100 Gigabit WiFi Streaming Router
- ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi router
- 4x4 antenna with AiRadar for wireless signal coverage exceeding 500 m² (around 5400 square feet)
- AC3100 Dual-Band 4x4 RT-AC88U Wireless 8-port Gigabit Gaming Router
- USB-AC68 Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 USB 3.0 Wi-Fi adapter
- AiProtection for total security and privacy
How we Picked and Tested
As it has been already mentioned that the choice of the router for high-quality streams for Twitch is vital for any streamer, both for a beginner and an experienced member of the platform. We entirely support the desire to share quality content and therefore have done a lot of search work. We discussed all the nuances of a perfect router with people familiar with Twitch and streaming, went through a myriad of product videos, studied the distinctive features of each router presented in this guide, and investigated lots of reviews. Besides such sought-after features as fast speed, contemporaneity, and bandwidth, we have also had an eye on those which provide a smart home system and Internet security.
Twitch Stream Router Recommendations
Before investing in a decent router (It might cost you a pretty penny, frankly speaking), you should study the market very well: compare prices and the main features of each of them. And only pick the best router for your streaming setup based on your personal requirements and expectations.
Here are several factors to consider before purchasing a router for Twitch streaming:
- Choose a dual-band or tri-band router which hosts the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency. The latter, by the way, is strong to interferences and is much faster.
- Pinpoint your Internet Top Speed, and then select a device that will resonate and operate in accordance with it.
- Invest in the router that supports the latest 802.11ac standards. It can easily handle several connected devices.
- The bandwidth matters. If you need to connect several technical apparatus, select the router with more bandwidth.
- Decide on the area you want the router to cover. Always keep in mind that the walls impede the signals.
- Check the compatibility of your modem and the chosen router to function harmoniously.
It is obvious that the router with advanced features such as MU-MIMO support, strong antennas, modern software, and hardware will make your streaming experience great. Choose quality, and you will get a great deal back.
Can you Stream on Twitch Over Wi-Fi?
The short response is positive. Yes, Twitch streaming over Wi-Fi is possible but an ethernet connection is still highly recommended. Wi-Fi is yielded to lots of unknown variables that can cause significant inconvenience while streaming. Professional streamers advise broadcasting at 720p not 1080p to keep it watchable for most of the people. As far as you can understand, it is quite difficult to reach a high-quality stream without difficulties over Wi-Fi.
Is Streaming on Twitch Better With Wi-Fi or Powerline Adapter?
It is known that a powerline adapter ensures better gaming performance over the Internet. Wi-Fi is noticeably inferior to it. A wired connection usually handles better and is obviously more powerful. When opting in an adapter, you should take into account several points: distance and interference. You will receive slow enough speed when the electric wire is too long, and the more interference is the higher the ping. Such a simple truth. Imagine that your father is watching the news, mom is having a Skype call, sister is downloading a film, and you are about to start streaming. A powerline adapter is likely to cope better with all of you as opposed to Wi-Fi.
Please note: avoid plugging a Powerline adapter into a surge strip not to block the data signal, and as well as the equipment like refrigerators and microwave ovens. It can also negatively impact speeds.
What Routers Do Streamers Use?
Any streamer will tell you that lag and slow speed are their worst enemies. A powerful router removes such obstacles on the way to a high-quality stream.
The aesthetics and design of routers are usually not that important for streamers. So it is unlikely to be an arty thing. To finally answer your question “How to choose a router?”, we will display the features that are usually taken into consideration by Twitch streamers when it comes to choosing one. They are the following:
- Wi-Fi Standard: 802.11ax or 802.11ac
- Tri- or dual-band routers
- Speed: the 5GHz is desirable
- 4 or 8 antennas
- Built-in CPU: 1.8GHz Quad Core or 1.7GHz Dual Core
- LAN Ports: 4 or 8
- USB Ports: 2 x USB 3.1
- MU-MIMO and QoS
Basically, Twitch streamers prefer NETGEAR routers as they have proven themselves well. Those who want to accomplish several goals at once: smart home routers with parental control and security essentials.
It is also worth mentioning that NETGEAR sponsors well-known esports teams – Seoul Dynasty and SFShock, and such esports organizations as Gen.G, Avant Gaming, and NRG.